Klein ISD Education Foundation History

Established 2001


Founding Director

Anne Vallette

Current Director

Cindy Doyle

The Klein ISD Education Foundation was created by the KISD Board of Trustees in 2000 while Dr. Donald R. Collins was Superintendent. At that time the Klein ISD Board of Trustees served as board members of the Klein Education Foundation, as they do for the Klein, TX Historical Foundation. In order for the Klein Education Foundation to be most successful Dr. Jim Surratt, who served as Superintendent following Dr. Collins, suggested a consultant specializing in foundation development be hired. This consultant, Dr. Pete Karabatsos, had a track record for establishing productive foundations throughout the mid-west. New Articles of Incorporation and new by-laws allowing for a community board were filed at the advice of Dr. Karabatsos. The Restated Articles of Incorporation and the new by-laws were filed and adopted in 2001. The final 501(c)3 status was achieved in 2001. Dr. Karabatsos advised the district to engage community leaders in the mission of the foundation by encouraging them to take leadership roles in fund-raising and influence on behalf of public education.

Dr. Donald Collins and Mrs. Karen Gayle Smith, Klein’s comptroller, filed the initial documents to create the Foundation. Dr. Liz Johnson, associate superintendent for community relations, working with Dr. Jim Surratt, managed the Foundation during its inaugural year. Under Dr. Pete Karabatsos’ tutelage, Dr. Johnson conducted a Founding Donors Campaign in 2001-2002 and successfully awarded the first grants to Klein ISD teachers. Grants amounting to $75,915 were awarded in the first year!

The directors were appointed with advice from multiple sources including the school principals who identify positive leaders on a regular basis for school support. In addition to school community leaders, the objective was to enlist influential and successful business representatives to support the District through the venue of the Klein ISD Education Foundation. Currently, directors recommend other directors through relationships in the community and networking experiences. Directors serve staggered tenures so that experienced directors are always on the board, and new ones regularly join the group. Many of the directors have been with the Foundation since the group’s inception.

The foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization governed by a volunteer board of directors made up of respected local business, corporate, and community leaders.


Klein Independent School District History

Established 1938


Opening Superintendent

G. Frank Brautigam
1932-1936

Current Superintendent

James W. Cain
2004-Current

1938 Enrollment

330

2015 Enrollment

50,400

In 1849, Adam Klein, a native of Stuttgart, Germany, and his fiancee, Friedericka Klenk, set sail from Europe for America and were married by the ship’s captain. The couple eventually joined the other German immigrants, most of whom had entered the Port of Galveston, on the banks of Cypress Creek, which later became the northern section of Harris County.

In July 1928, the present boundary lines of the school district were established with consolidation of five common school districts and the official name became Rural High School District Number One. The district, 88 square miles in size, became one of the largest districts in land area in Harris County. In 1938, the school district was renamed the Klein Independent School District in honor of Adam Klein.

The growth of the area was very slow and steady; most of the residents were farmers, ranchers, and dairy farmers. In 1966, the stage was set for exciting changes in the district when thousands of acres of land, covered with beautiful oak and pine trees, were purchased for residential construction. Developers found room to expand, a serene atmosphere of country living, and reasonable prices. Prior to this time, there were no large city-like subdivisions located within the boundaries of the district which, because of its size and shape, is served by three different post offices: Houston, Spring and Tomball.

In the 1970-71 school year there were 2,744 students enrolled in Klein Schools. The current enrollment is in excess of 50,400 students in one early childhood and pre-kindergarten center, 29 elementary schools, nine intermediate campuses, and four high schools.

The Klein ISD has attracted new families from all over the U.S. and many foreign countries. The district has achieved an excellent reputation for academic, vocational and extracurricular activities.


District Superintendents

1932-2015


G. Frank Brautigam

1932-1936
J. Donald Gray

1937-1942 & 44-47
Jack H. Lynch

1942-1944 & 47-49
Luther Pearson

1949-1953
Robert E. Lyons

1953-1967
E. Randall Simpson

1967-1970
Donald R. Collins

1971-2000
James E. Surratt

2000-2004
James W. Cain

2004-2016
Bret A. Champion

2016-Current
 
 

Fall Festival Kings & Queens

The time-honored tradition of naming a Fall Festival king and queen has a long and rich history in the Klein ISD of past. In 2003, the Foundation re-introduced the tradition of naming a Fall Festival king and queen.


  • 2003Catherine Neal
    &
    Charles Seber
    2003

  • 2004
    Shirley Strack
    &
    Edwin “Butch” Theiss
    2004

  • 2005
    David Klein
    &
    Barbara Seber
    2005

  • 2006
    Dorothy Brown
    &
    James Wunderlich
    2006

  • 2007Val Frank
    &
    Jimmie Schindewolf
    2007

  • 2008-2
    Charles Nitsch
    &
    Hilda Doerre
    2008

  • 2009
    Roger Wunderlich
    &
    Gladys Doerre
    2009

  • 2010
    Inez Wunderlich Weindorff
    &
    Buddy Hassler
    2010

  • fallfestking&queen2011
    LeRoy Frank
    &
    Bernell Klein Lovett
    2011

  • IMG_0580
    Louise Reed Connell
    &
    Don Strack
    2012

  • IMG_6665
    Patricia Kaiser Hilburn
    &
    Lester Hildebrandt
    2013

  • FallFounder_King_Queen_2014
    Charline Ray
    &
    Ben Frank
    2014

  • FallFounder_King_Queen_2015
    Esther Wunderlich Haude
    &
    Claude Hand
    2015


Campus History Index


High School

Klein High    –    Klein Cain    –    Klein Collins    –    Klein Forest    –    Klein Oak

Intermediate Schools

Doerre    –    Hildebrandt    –    Kleb    –    Klein Intermediate    –    Krimmel    –    Schindewolf    –    Strack    –    Ulrich    –    Wunderlich

Elementary Schools

Benfer    –    Benignus    –    Bernshausen    –    Blackshear    –    Brill    –    Ehrhardt    –    Eiland    –    Epps Island    –    Frank    –    French    –    Grace England Early Childhood & Pre-K Center    –    Greenwood Forest    –    Hassler    –    Haude    –    Kaiser    –    Klenk    –    Kohrville    –    Krahn    –    Kreinhop    –    Kuehnle    –    Lemm    –    Mahaffey    –    McDougle    –    Metzler    –    Mittelstädt    –    Mueller    –    Nitsch    –    Northampton    –    Roth    –    Schultz    –    Theiss    –    Zwink

Haude Elementary

January 4, 1971


When Haude Elementary School opened, a new era in school construction began in the Klein ISD. This new flexible-space school was constructed on a 10-acre site at the corner of Louetta and Haude roads. Haude Elementary School was designed to serve as a pilot school for curriculum and design for other elementary schools that would be constructed in the district.

Opening Principal

Herman Monroe

Opening Enrollment

400

Back to Campus Index

Greenwood Forest Elementary

August 30, 1971


Greenwood Forest Elementary School is named after the Greenwood Forest subdivision, which was developed by Walter Mischer. The primary builders were Vincent Kickerillo and Don Hand. Mr. Hand, known as the “father of 1960,” donated the land where the school is built. He has donated more than 900 acres of land in the region benefiting the Klein area.

Opening Principal

Herman Monroe

Opening Enrollment

500

Back to Campus Index

Northampton Elementary

August 30, 1971


Northampton Elementary School was named after the surrounding subdivision. The school was built on land donated and formerly owned by descendants of German settlers. Before Northampton came to be, the land was called Root Pasture or Root Meadow because it was mainly covered in trees with thorns, vines and underbrush. The Root family of Houston owned land out of the John Brock land grant, which they gave to the German settlers.

Opening Principal

Patrick Brown

Opening Enrollment

458

Back to Campus Index

Epps Island Elementary

September 4, 1973


Epps Island is named for the group or island of trees located on the Epps’ land. Island was a term frequently used in the old days to designate large groves of trees on the prairie that offered shade and water to travelers. During the Civil War, a campground in the area was known as Epps Island. It was the stopping location for the 20th century truck farmers taking their produce into Houston who would then sell their crops in the downtown Market Square. A family lived on the eastern edge of the island, and had a large peach orchard on the edge of the prairie. Many believe the Epps family gave the area its name.

Opening Principal

James Hill

Opening Enrollment

399

Current Principal

LaToya Wynne

Current Enrollment

753

Back to Campus Index

Hildebrandt Intermediate

December 3, 1973


Johannes Hildebrandt brought his wife and five sons to the Klein area from Prussia in 1873. Shortly after arriving in Texas, however, Johannes died from a heat stroke. Johannes’ sons established families and farms for themselves. One son, John, built a house near the present railroad crossing on Hildebrandt Road and operated a nearby sawmill. His grandson, Paul, later sold the land to the school district, where Hildebrandt Intermediate School was then built.

Opening Principal

Frank Lemmon

Opening Enrollment

824

Current Principal

Dr. Joffery Jones

Current Enrollment

1,132

Back to Campus Index

Theiss Elementary

August 26, 1974


In 1846, Johann Heinrich Theiss arrived in Indianola with his wife, Katherina Theiss, and four children. The family was from Bottenhorn, Germany. Johann purchased 200 acres of land near Rosehill, and the house he built for his family is still standing as a part of the Tomball Museum Complex. Johann’s oldest son, Jacob Theiss, moved his family to the Klein area in 1854, purchasing 557 acres of land for $700. Jacob and his wife Elizabeth had ten children. In 1874, Jacob was one of the founders of Trinity Lutheran Church.

Opening Principal

Rosemary Amend

Opening Enrollment

737

Current Principal

JoAnn Keenan

Current Enrollment

616

Back to Campus Index

Wunderlich Intermediate

August 18, 1975


In the 1850s, two Wunderlich brothers, Peter and Jost, came to Texas from Germany. In 1861, Peter was granted title to 577 acres, and the two brothers were joined by their sister, Katherina Wunderlich Hassler and her husband, Wilhem. Peter and his wife, Katherina née Hofius, had six children. Their descendants continued to farm the land for more than 100 years. In the early 1870s, Jost Wunderlich bought 100 acres of land on the west side of Kuykendahl Road, between Spring-Cypress and Rhodes Road. Bridgestone West subdivision is on this land today.

Opening Principal

Billy Fisk

Opening Enrollment

1,003

Current Principal

Chris Ruggerio

Current Enrollment

1,552

Back to Campus Index

Benfer Elementary

August 22, 1977


Henry Benfer and his wife, Elizabeth, came from Westfalen, Germany in late 1866. They bought about 200 acres of land in the Klein area and began farming. Henry later became one of the founders of Trinity Lutheran Church. There are about 300 living descendants of Henry Benfer.

Opening Principal

Susan Qualls

Opening Enrollment

778

Current Principal

Loraine Lambert

Current Enrollment

784

Back to Campus Index

Strack Intermediate

August 22, 1977


Herman Strack was the oldest of five sons who came to Texas from Prussia in 1848. He was a
blacksmith who turned to farming, purchasing land near Cypress Creek. The land was part of two of the original 1836 Republic of Texas grants. The family continues to farm the land first purchased by Herman Strack.

Opening Principal

Ken Laird

Opening Enrollment

962

Current Principal

Andrea Comer

Current Enrollment

1,188

Back to Campus Index

Kaiser Elementary

August 28, 1978


Henry Kaiser was born on September 9, 1825, in Hesse, Germany. In 1856, he and his first wife, Elizabeth, joined the Brautigams and 13 other families in coming to Texas. Landing in Galveston, the families used smaller boats to come up Buffalo Bayou to Allen’s Landing in Houston. While Henry was serving in the Civil War, his first wife died of the fever. In 1865, widower Henry Kaiser married widow Katherina Wunderlich Hassler.

Opening Principal

Mike McWhirter

Opening Enrollment

252

Current Principal

Robert Jones

Current Enrollment

779

Back to Campus Index

Brill Elementary

November 27, 1978


Johannes Brill, another charter member of Trinity Lutheran Church, and his wife, Anna Elizabeth, sailed from Prussia to America in 1873. John Brill raised cattle, and his brand was a sledgehammer. Family records show that in 1888 he paid $310 for 30 head of cattle.

Opening Principal

Pat Echols

Opening Enrollment

397

Current Principal

Dayna Hernandez

Current Enrollment

772

Back to Campus Index

Ehrhardt Elementary

September 4, 1979


Fritz Ehrhardt was born in Hesse, Germany and came to America in 1880 at the age of 23. In 1885, Fritz married Louisa Strack. Several schools have been located on land originally purchased by Fritz Ehrhardt. The earliest was the Oak Grove School, built in the 1880s.

Opening Principal

Don Black

Opening Enrollment

477

Current Principal

Charles Hall

Current Enrollment

699

Back to Campus Index

Klein Forest High School

September 4, 1979


By board policy, all high schools will include the name “Klein” as the first word to commemorate the Adam Klein family’s significant contribution to the community. Klein Forest was the second high school opened in the district, and is located in the Greenwood Forest community.

Opening Principal

Robert West

Opening Enrollment

1,450

Current Principal

Patricia Crittendon

Current Enrollment

3,582

Back to Campus Index

Lemm Elementary

September 2, 1980


In the early 1840s, Wilhelm Lemm came to Texas from Germany. In 1854, Wilhelm married
Henrietta Horn, and they settled near Spring, Texas. Wilhelm acquired his land while Texas was still a Republic and Sam Houston was president. Wilhelm went on to fight in the Civil War, and he was a charter member of the Trinity Lutheran Church. He died in 1880, but members of the Lemm family still live in Wilhelm’s old home.

Opening Principal

Donna Nicholson

Opening Enrollment

520

Current Principal

Kathy Brown

Current Enrollment

596

Back to Campus Index

Nitsch Elementary

September 2, 1980


John Nitsch, born in Koenigsburg, Germany, January 27, 1860, arrived in Galveston in 1885. By trade, he was a pastry cook, but after moving to the Klein area, he began farming corn, potatoes, and cotton. Produce would be taken by wagon to the Farmer’s Market in Houston, and the round trip would take two days. John married Hedwig Lentz, and they had five children.

Opening Principal

Dennis Redford

Opening Enrollment

415

Current Principal

Amber Kent

Current Enrollment

765

Back to Campus Index

Kleb Intermediate

August 31, 1981 & August 23, 1993


Andrew Kleb, born in 1856, grew up near New Kentucky where his grandfather, Conrad Kleb, arrived and settled years before. In 1891, he married Victoria Kriegel, and they had seven children. In 1907, the Klebs moved to the Klein community and began farming the area near the current Hooks Airport. The present day Kleb campus opened on August 23, 1993.

Opening Principal

Larry Fricke

Opening Enrollment

914

Current Principal

Jessica Haddox

Current Enrollment

1,396

Back to Campus Index

Klein Oak High School

August 30, 1982


By board policy, all senior high schools will include the name “Klein” as the first word to
commemorate the Adam Klein family’s significant contribution to the community. Klein Oak was the third senior high school in the district. Klein Oak serves students who live in the northern portion of the district.

Opening Principal

Robert West

Opening Enrollment

1,064

Current Principal

Dr. Brian Greeney

Current Enrollment

3,883

Back to Campus Index

Krahn Elementary

August 29, 1983


In 1860, Frederick Krahn came from Burgenbuch, Poznen, in Germany to Galveston. With him were his wife, Anna, his sons, August and William, and his daughter. Anna died less than 10 years after their arrival, and Frederick married Elizabeth. The couple had one child named Fredericka. It is uncertain exactly where the first Krahns settled in Texas, but it was in northwest Harris County near the Cypress area.

Opening Principal

Don Simme

Opening Enrollment

576

Current Principal

Carole Mason

Current Enrollment

745

Back to Campus Index

Roth Elementary

August 27, 1984


Henry Roth, Sr., was born in 1824. He moved from Feudingen, Westfalen, in Germany to the Klein area with his wife, Ana, and their son, Heinrich Jr., in 1854. They settled on land in and around what is now the Bridgestone subdivision. Henry, Jr. married Julia Wichman, and the couple had ten children. Rhodes Road is named after the Roths; the non-German people in the area often mispronounced the “Roth” name as “Rhodes.”

Opening Principal

Betty Dodd

Opening Enrollment

663

Current Principal

Gail McGuire

Current Enrollment

698

Back to Campus Index

Klein Intermediate

August 27, 1984


The first intermediate school in the Big Cypress/Klein community was named Klein Intermediate. However, it was not until 1984 that the fifth intermediate school in the Klein Independent School District was given this name to continue the tradition. Klein Intermediate is located in the southern portion of the district.

Opening Principal

Don Rather

Opening Enrollment

775

Current Principal

Bob Anderson

Current Enrollment

1,227

Back to Campus Index

Doerre Intermediate

August 27, 1984


Carl and Edward Doerre immigrated to Texas in the 1870s from Saxony, Germany. Edward married Mary Klein in the 1880s. They purchased 320 acres from Mary’s dad, John Klein. When the people of the Klein community wanted to build a public elementary and high school in 1931, Herbert Doerre, Edward’s grandson, sold 14 acres with the stipulation that the land always be used for educational purposes. This is the land where the Klein ISD administration offices are located.

Opening Principal

Frank Cain

Opening Enrollment

980

Current Principal

Cissy Saccomanno

Current Enrollment

1,146

Back to Campus Index

Kuehnle Elementary

September 5, 1989


There are two branches of the Kuehnle family who came and settled in the area at different times. The earliest Kuehnles were from Eichenkernberg, Germany, and came in the 1850s. The second group of Kuehnles came from Wittenberg, Germany, in the 1870s. Kuehnle Elementary School opened in 1989.

Opening Principal

Maryanna Rhemann

Opening Enrollment

377

Current Principal

Julia Funk

Current Enrollment

758

Back to Campus Index

Mittelstädt Elementary

August 26, 1991


Carl Theodore Wilhelm Mittelstädt arrived in the United States in 1869 with his wife, Wilhilmen, and five of their six children. They had lived in Semlow, Franzburg County, in northern East Germany. The house they built still exists. Today, there are almost 2,000 direct descendants of these original Mittelstädts.

Opening Principal

Don Simme

Opening Enrollment

462

Current Principal

Cynthia Levy

Current Enrollment

854

Back to Campus Index

Klenk Elementary

August 24, 1992


In 1874, the brothers Christian, Carl, and Gottlieb immigrated to Texas, where Aunt Fredericke Klenk had settled with her husband Adam Klein years before. The Klenks of the Klein community are descendants of Christian Klenk. In 1876, Christian married Fredericka Zwink at Trinity Lutheran Church. Christian helped build the original church building and was one of its first members. Christian owned about 450 acres of land, including the four corners where Kuykendahl and Spring-Cypress intersect.

Opening Principal

Theresa Johnson

Opening Enrollment

677

Current Principal

Jessica Muse

Current Enrollment

853

Back to Campus Index

Eiland Elementary

August 23, 1993


Tom Eiland’s four brothers first settled in the English colony of Virginia. In early 1887, Tom made the 650-mile journey to Rockdale in Milam County, Texas. The Eilands later moved to the Klein community. Curtis Eiland was elected to the Klein ISD Board of Trustees in April 1959 and served 12 years.

Opening Principal

Darrel Luedeker

Opening Enrollment

469

Current Principal

Greg Jones

Current Enrollment

616

Back to Campus Index

Schultz Elementary

August 22, 1994


According to the U.S. Census records, Herman Schultz came from Germany with his grandmother, Hannah Olstan in 1872 when he was six years old. He was born in Germany on December 25, 1865. Herman Schultz was married first to Katherine Mueller, and the couple had eight children. When Katie Mueller died, Herman married Elizabeth Kreinhop Mittelstäedt. They also had eight children. Among Herman’s 16 children were three sets of twins.

Opening Principal

Merri Lebo

Opening Enrollment

618

Current Principal

Sherri Davenport

Current Enrollment

921

Back to Campus Index

Hassler Elementary

August 12, 1999


The Hassler family in Germany has been traced as far back as 1750. On July 25, 1858, Marie
Katherina Wunderlich married Wilhelm Hassler in the church in Birkalbach, Germany. In 1861, the Hasslers, with children Heinrich and Friedrich immigrated to Texas. During the Atlantic crossing, baby Friedrich died and had to be buried at sea. In Texas, the Hasslers settled in the Big Cypress area and began farming, but Wilhelm Hassler died of a fever in 1863 or 1864. In 1865, Katherina married Heinrich Kaiser, a veteran of the Civil War, and they had several children of their own while also raising Heinrich Hassler. Descendants of Heinrich continue to live in the Klein community.

Opening Principal

Carolyn Sims

Opening Enrollment

523

Current Principal

Carol Randall

Current Enrollment

656

Back to Campus Index

Klein Collins High School

August 9, 2001


The name Klein Collins High School honors the contributions of Donald R. Collins, Ed.D., former educator and superintendent in the Klein ISD for 29 years. The name Klein Collins not only honors the Adam Klein family, but also reflects the leadership of two of the community’s most distinguished families.

Opening Principal

Mindy Spurlock

Opening Enrollment

1,137

Current Principal

Randy Kirk

Current Enrollment

3,633

Back to Campus Index

Kohrville Elementary

August 19, 2002


The present day Kohrville Elementary School is located in the far northwest section of the Klein ISD. The school is named for a community settled by freed slaves and by German immigrants, including Paul and Agnes Tautenhahn Korhmann, who opened a general store in the 1870s along what is today State Highway 249. The community became known as “Kohrville” or occasionally “Korville.” The 1949 two-room school house has been relocated to the Wunderlich Farm and is completely restored and open to the public.

Opening Principal

Darrel Luedeker

Opening Enrollment

587

Current Principal

Vicki Bland

Current Enrollment

733

Back to Campus Index

Schindewolf Intermediate

August 19, 2002


Johann Reinhard Schindewolf married Maria Magdalena Hildebrandt in 1873 in Frankershausen, Germany. That same year, several members of Maria Hildebrandt’s family immigrated to Texas. Johann and Maria had three children, Elissa, Klous Otto, and George. After her husband’s death, Maria Schindewolf brought her three children to settle in Texas. Otto married Emma Hildebrandt and raised a family of five children in Westfield. George married Annie Strack and raised seven children in the Klein community. Descendants of Johann and Maria Schindewolf continue to live in the Klein community.

Opening Principal

Laurence Liles

Opening Enrollment

1,066

Current Principal

Debbie Hamilton

Current Enrollment

1,230

Back to Campus Index

Kreinhop Elementary

August 17, 2004


August Kreinhop and his wife, Dorethea, were the first members of the Kreinhop family to settle in this area. They owned about 250 acres of land that is located very close to Kreinhop Elementary. Their family home was sold to the Hildebrandt family and is known as the Kreinhop-Hildebrandt house. This house has been relocated to the Wunderlich Farm.

Opening Principal

Dora Williams

Opening Enrollment

759

Current Principal

Sherri Trammell

Current Enrollment

878

Back to Campus Index

McDougle Elementary

August 17, 2004


McDougle Elementary School was dedicated March 21, 2004, and named after George McDougle. As one of the first settlers, he came to Klein in 1838. He joined others coming to Texas, seeking opportunities for owning land and raising cattle. George settled in north Harris County, north of Cypress Creek on what is now Stuebner-Airline Road.

Opening Principal

Lynn Brown

Opening Enrollment

528

Current Principal

Kathy Rachal

Current Enrollment

698

Back to Campus Index

Metzler Elementary

August 16, 2005


The family patriarch, Jacob John Metzler, along with second wife, Elisabeth Arnold, and their five children, emigrated sometime prior to February 15, 1847, from Germany to a new colony near Galveston. Upon arrival, they discovered that arrangements weren’t made to provide them with the expected land. They traveled deeper into the state and settled in the Klein area.

Opening Principal

Christine Rigia

Opening Enrollment

549

Current Principal

Lakita Combs

Current Enrollment

872

Back to Campus Index

Benignus Elementary

August 16, 2005


The Benignus family settled in the Klein community and originally owned property in what is today Forest North. This property was later sold, and family members purchased land in what is now the WindRose area. In 2004, a community committee recommended that Elementary #24 be located in the WindRose subdivision and be named to honor the Benignus family.

Opening Principal

Misty Kainer

Opening Enrollment

866

Current Principal

Misty Kainer

Current Enrollment

947

Back to Campus Index

Krimmel Intermediate

August 27, 2007


Karl and Philippine Bauman née Krimmel came to Texas in 1846 with four children, making them one of the early settlers in the Big Cypress/Klein community. The old Krimmel homestead is located on the southwest corner of Spring Cypress and Klein Cemetery roads. Karl Krimmel died in 1866 before Trinity Lutheran Church was founded. Philippine Krimmel, a founding member, remained a member of the church until her death in 1881.

Opening Principal

Scott Crowe

Opening Enrollment

1,179

Current Principal

Scott Crowe

Current Enrollment

1,319

Back to Campus Index

Frank Elementary

August 27, 2007


Martin Frank arrived in Texas in 1853 at the age of three with his parents, but shortly thereafter was orphaned. After living with other families in the Lynchburg and Rosehill area, Martin moved to Klein in the 1870s. Martin married Emilie Theiss and they had five children before her death in 1886. Eleven children were born during his second marriage to Philippine Krimmel. Martin Frank farmed and raised cattle until his death in 1922. Today, Frank family members own several businesses in the Klein area.

Opening Principal

738

Opening Enrollment

80

Current Principal

Eve Messina

Current Enrollment

617

Back to Campus Index

Mueller Elementary

August 24, 2009


The Christian Mueller and William Mueller families are recorded as members of the original settlers of the Klein area of North Harris County. Both families came to the community in the 1870s through the 1880s where they established homesteads, were farmers and ranchers, and raised their children. Their children married into the Benfer, Benignus, Brill, Haude, Hildebrandt, Hirsch, Hofius, Kleb, Klein, Mittelstädt, Schindewolf, Schultz, Strack, Theiss and Wuensche families. Descendents of Christian and William continue to live and work in the Klein community.

Opening Principal

Sharon Firestone

Opening Enrollment

637

Current Principal

Pattie Holecek

Current Enrollment

920

Back to Campus Index

Ulrich Intermediate

August 23, 2010


Ulrich Intermediate School is named for the family of August and Marie Ulrich who settled in the Klein area in 1900 after coming to the U.S. Their homestead was across Spring Cypress Road from the intermediate school. Dr. James Jones and his wife, Grace Ulrich Jones, lived on the Ulrich Intermediate property. Their barn has been moved to the Klein ISD historical site at Doerre Intermediate School.

Opening Principal

Kathy Brown

Opening Enrollment

812

Current Principal

Jeff Bailey

Current Enrollment

1,130

Back to Campus Index

Blackshear Elementary

August 23, 2011


William and Hannah Blackshear moved to the Klein area in 1862. They established a store near Spring Cypress Road to serve the Klein community. In September, 1884 the first Klein Post Office was established adjoining the Blackshear store and William Blackshear was named the first Postmaster for the Klein, Texas Post Office. He served until 1902 when Charles Klein was named Postmaster. The Blackshears had one daughter, Catherine, who married J.W. Hobson.

Opening Principal

Darrel Luedeker

Opening Enrollment

810

Current Principal

Darrel Luedeker

Current Enrollment

973

Back to Campus Index

Zwink Elementary

August 27, 2012


Friedricke Zwink immigrated to the United States in 1874, and married a builder of Trinity Lutheran Church, Christian Klenk. In 1881, Johann Friedrich Zwink immigrated to the United States with his mother Louisa and sister Sophia. Johann married Elise, daughter of Jost Wunderlich, a founder of Trinity Lutheran Church. The Zwinks were farmers that contributed a great deal to the Klein area most importantly through the lineage of many other families including Hirsch, Klenk, Mittelstädt, Schultz and Theiss. Many Zwink descendants, who may not carry the Zwink name, continue to serve the Klein ISD and community.

Opening Principal

Jenny McGown

Opening Enrollment

811

Current Principal

Catie Turner

Current Enrollment

923

Back to Campus Index

Grace England Early Childhood & Pre-K Center

August 27, 2012


During her 24 years in the Klein ISD, Dr. Grace England led an effort to establish one of the first Early Childhood Intervention programs in the state to provide services such as speech therapy and physical therapy to infants and toddlers with disabilities to better prepare them for school. This center is Klein ISD’s first center for young learners and is designed to prepare pre-school children for school by providing readiness experiences that include a focus on communication, cognitive, motor and social/emotional development.

Opening Principal

Ann Dristas

Opening Enrollment

499

Current Principal

Ann Dristas

Current Enrollment

472

Back to Campus Index

Bernshausen Elementary

August 26, 2013


Bernshausen Elementary School opened to serve students for the first time on August 26, 2013. The school is named in honor of the Henirich Bernshausen family who arrived in Texas in 1852. He married Maria “ Magdalena” Hofius and both were charter members of Trinity Lutheran.

Bernshausen Elementary School encompasses 117,280 square feet and is the district’s fourth high performance designed school and meets the standards of a Texas Collaborative for High Performance Schools (TX-CHPS Verified). Unique design features include bio swales, harvesting of A/C condensate and rain water, a human sundial clock and an instructional garden.

Opening Principal

Cassandra Christian

Opening Enrollment

665

Current Principal

Cassandra Christian

Current Enrollment

774

Back to Campus Index

Klein High

1938, 1963, & August 25, 2014


In 1938, the school district was renamed the Klein Independent School District (ISD) in honor of Adam Klein. The 310 students were transported daily on five school buses 32 miles each day. By board policy, all senior high schools will include the name Klein as the first word.

Present day Klein High was opened August 25, 2014. This is the third building to hold the name Klein High.

Opening Principal

J.H. Lynch

Opening Enrollment

80

Current Principal

Larry Whitehead

Current Enrollment

3,860

Back to Campus Index

French Elementary

August 24, 2015


The original French school was active from 1914-1927. The French school was on Hildebrandt property on the southeast corner of Rhodes Road and Spring Stuebner. When the French school was discontinued, the building was moved to the west end of the Klein High School Building of 1938, where the Klein Administration Building is located today. Eventually, the building was sold to the Kleb family and was moved to their property on Spring Cypress Rd.

French Elementary opened its doors in 2015 and is proud to honor the following French families: Arceneaux, Bonin, Boudreaux, Boulet, DeChaumes, Haggerty, Henry, LeLeux, Melancon, Pevateaux, Pillot, Roland, and Sellers.

Opening Principal

Carole Mason

Opening Enrollment

665

Back to Campus Index

Mahaffey Elementary

2016


Opening Principal

Dayna Hernandez

Opening Enrollment

Back to Campus Index

Klein Cain High School

2017


Opening Principal

Nicole Patin

Opening Enrollment

Back to Campus Index